Sunday, August 2, 2009

11.5: Thing 7

Hello. My name is Renae and I'm a television and movie junkie. Hulu is my drug of choice. Second only to All My Children. In all seriousness, there is so much out there. Fair Use is just the tip of the iceberg as far as I'm concerned. Remember how scared we all were (those of us with pre-adolescents that liked to download music)when music companies really started prosecuting? I get the same heeby-jeebies when I think about the mash-ups and mixes that we're coming up with. The Fair Use link helped me reason through it, though. And I believe we should show this to kids - not to just the broadcast journalism kids, either. I'm going to suggest (hi LR) that we broadcast this 4 min. video from the main page to the whole school - kind of like an part introduction to fair use, you know? And then follow up with the documents.
I thoroughly enjoyed playing with the National Geographic videos. I chose one to coincide with my trip to Holland - I came to realize after visiting the World War II AMERICAN Memorial in Holland just how involved we were. 8000 Americans lost their lives just in Holland. You know, I think we don't do our students justice when it comes to teaching them the history of WWII - as Americans we really just think about Pearl Harbor and then we dropped a couple of bombs. I talked with Dutch survivors that had German soldiers walk into their homes and take their food - the whole country was occupied. And they are so appreciative of the American, English and Canadian forces that saved them that they constructed memorials on their own decades before we did.

No comments: